This procedure provides a documented process for backup data from folders, files, databases, computers, smartphone and tablet devices to the cloud. Backing up data is a critical part of running a business or organisation.
It is recommended that the Online Data Backups procedure is installed into the IT section of your Company Manual.
Facts about data loss:
- Only 34% of companies test their tape backups and, of those who do, 77% have found failures.
- 60% of companies that lose their data will go out of business within 6 months of the disaster. (Source: Boston Computing Network)
- 93% of companies that lost their data for 10 days or more filed for bankruptcy within one year of the disaster, and 50% filed for bankruptcy immediately. (Source: National Archives & Records Administration in Washington.)
- 20% of small to medium businesses will suffer a major disaster causing loss of critical data every 5 years. (Source: Richmond House Group)
- You have a 30% chance of having a corrupted file within a one-year time frame.
- 1 in 25 notebooks are stolen, broken or destroyed each year.
- About 70% of business people have experienced (or will experience) data loss due to accidental deletion, disk or system failure, viruses, fire or some other disaster (Source: Carbonite, an online backup service)
Scary But True Facts About Data Loss
Word Count: 520